Sunday, January 20, 2008

"They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."--A. Warhol

I originally wanted to start a blog to have a place to talk about my experiences in practicing clinical psychology. It's a lonely existence, the life of a psychologist. You have days filled with social encounters that usually involve deep, intellectually challenging conversations with people in some pretty peculiar circumstances, and you are bound to absolute secrecy. I find it rather paradoxical, however, because here we are telling everyone to share their feelings, get things out, work through thoughts and emotions, and I'm supposed to keep mum once the 50 minute hour is up. If I see a client in public, I'm not even supposed to acknowledge him or her. With some clients, I've spent years working on developing social skills only to abandon them completely at 10 to. Well, enough is enough. I need a way to process my feelings about the people I spend most of my days with. You don't know who I am so there's sure as hell no way you'll know who I'm talking about. Of course, names will be changed and I have ways of protecting the identities of every client. So there. Let's get ready to rumble...(I've just always wanted to say that!)

No comments: